Program FAQ  

Is the master of education in human development counseling accredited?
The on-campus master of education in human development counseling program with curriculum tracks in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and School Counseling is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).

The online master of education in human development counseling with a specialization in school counseling program has been designed to meet CACREP accreditation standards. In conjunction with CACREP guidelines, a review of the program has begun. While the online program is not yet CACREP accredited, every effort is made to prepare students with the necessary skills and knowledge to sit for licensing exams. Licensure requirements differ from state to state, so students should research the requirements specific to the state in which they want to work.

The master of education (M.Ed.) in human development counseling with a specialization in school counseling from Vanderbilt University's Peabody College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).

How long does the program take to complete?
The program is 48 credit hours and can be completed in 3 years.

Why has the total number of credits changed from 60 to 48 for the online program?
The online M.Ed. program initially launched with a 60-credit hour curriculum, in anticipation of meeting upcoming changes in national accreditation standards for school counseling programs. The shift was made to a 48-credit hour curriculum because there is more time than previously anticipated before these national accreditation standards will go into effect. Additionally, the 48-credit hour curriculum aligns better with the current on-campus program requirements. This change also enables students to complete the M.Ed. program in 3 years, while receiving an education that mirrors that of the on-campus program and aligns with the current national accreditation standard.

Does this program meet every state’s licensure requirements?
Specific licensure requirements vary from state to state. The online 48-credit M.Ed. in human development counseling program will mirror the on-campus curriculum, which currently meets the national accreditation standards for school counseling programs. Applicants should check to see if the program meets licensing requirements for his or her state.

What types of certification or licensure will students need once they earn their degree to become a school counselor?
Licensure requirements vary from state to state. Most state licensing boards require a master’s degree, testing, and completion of post-master’s clinical hours. Students are encouraged to research the requirements for licensure specific to their state of residence.

Are students required to visit the Vanderbilt University campus?
Students are required to attend two immersion experiences on Vanderbilt University’s campus in Nashville, Tennessee. The immersions are weekend-long site-specific experiential learning experiences that extend and enrich students’ curricular experiences through the practical application of theoretical and conceptual constructs. It also provides an opportunity for students to meet their peers and Vanderbilt faculty in person, and encourages online students to feel like they are a part of the Vanderbilt community. The immersion experiences will occur as required sessions within the Pre-Practicum and Group Counseling courses.

Is there an internship or field experience requirement?
Students will take the Internship I course (3 credits) in one term. This requires a supervised counseling field experience of 200 hours in a K-12 school setting.

Students will take the Internship II and III courses (6 credits) in two terms. Each internship term requires a supervised counseling field experience of 300 hours in a K-12 school setting (for a total of 600 hours).

These nine credits provide students with an on-site experience in counseling. Students will gain advanced training in counseling and guidance techniques within a school setting while analyzing and applying appropriate counseling and guidance techniques relative to sound theory and school counseling practices.

Across the three field experiences, students must get experience at each school level: elementary, middle, and high school. At least one of the internships must be in a publicly-funded school.


Admissions FAQ

Do applicants need an undergraduate degree in counseling, psychology, or education to be eligible for the M.Ed. program?
Applicants can have an undergraduate degree in any field to be eligible for the M.Ed. program.

Do applicants need to submit standardized test scores?
Scores from the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) are required for the Masters in Human Development Counseling with an emphasis in school counseling. The MAT must have been taken within the last 5 years and applicants must have an official score report sent directly from the testing agency. Our MAT institutional code is 2332.

GRE scores may be submitted in lieu of the MAT. The GRE must have been taken within the last 5 years and you must have an official score report sent directly from the testing agency. Our GRE institutional code is 1871 and there is no department code.

If an applicant is neither a US citizen nor a permanent resident, can he or she still apply?
Applicants must be US citizens, or permanent residents, who reside in the United States.

Do applicants need to complete an interview for the M.Ed. program?
All admissible M.Ed. applicants will be invited to schedule an interview prior to receiving an admissions decision.

Is there an application fee?
There is no application fee for the M.Ed. program.

Are there prerequisite requirements?
M.Ed. applicants must have completed a Bachelor’s degree, and must submit transcripts, interests and goals statement, at least 3 letters of recommendation, standardized test scores, and, in some cases, participate in an admissions interview.

Applicants whose academic work has been in a country other than the U.S., U.K., Australia or English-speaking Canada, must submit an official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score.

If the applicant’s prior study was completed outside of the United States, he or she must have earned the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree to be eligible for admission. The submitted transcript(s) must have an English translation.

Can applicants request that their transcripts be sent electronically?
Many schools issue transcripts electronically, either through their own web services or through vendors. If this option is available through the institutions the applicants have attended, they should specify that their transcript(s) be sent to apps@peabodyonline.vanderbilt.edu as this will expedite the delivery of the transcript(s) and the completion of the application.

Please note: To be considered an official transcript, the transcript must be sent directly from your institution(s) or through an electronic transcript vendor retained by that institution. Transcripts submitted by enrolled or prospective students are considered unofficial documents, even if they are in a sealed envelope provided to you by the issuing university.


Field Experience FAQ

Do students need to secure their own field experience?
Peabody Online’s dedicated field experience team will work with students to secure internships that meets the program requirements. All field experiences must be approved by Vanderbilt University.

How much time should students expect to spend at their field experience site?
Students should expect to spend 1-2 days (about 8 hours) per week at their school site during Internship I and 3 days (about 20 hours) per week at their school site during Internship II and III.

When does the internship for the M.Ed. program begin?
Internship I is the first field experience and will always take place in a January (spring) term. Internships are sequenced January / August / January.

Can students complete their field experiences where they work?
Field experiences must be completed in schools. Some students may be able to keep their jobs and conduct Internship I at the same time, but will unlikely be able to do so for Internship II and III. This is because Internship II and III must occur during normal working hours and require about 20 hours per week.

How far will students have to travel to get to their field experience?
Students will work with the dedicated field experience team to provide school internships within a 75-mile radius of the student’s preferred address. Field experience sites must be approved by Vanderbilt University.

Are there weekend and weeknight field experiences available?
Students should plan to attend field experiences M‐F, during regular school hours in accordance with one’s school site supervisor. The dedicated field experience team is unable to arrange for internship schedules to occur exclusively during evening/weekend hours.

What is the role of the field experience team in the student’s internship process?
The field experience team will work with students to identify suitable internship sites.